About University of Mysore
Shri Nalvadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar, visionary Maharaja of the erstwhile Princely State of Mysore, established the University of Mysore in 1916 in the garden city of Mysore. An excerpt from Rigveda “Nothing is Equal to knowledge” is its guiding principle. Maharaja’s College, built in 1861, formed the nucleus of the fledgling University at that time. Succession of progressive Kings, Dewans and eminent Vice-Chancellors gave impetus to the growth of the University.
In 1960,Vice-Chancellor Dr.K.V.Puttappa’s (Kuvempu) dreamland, “Manasagangothri”, campus for post-graduate courses, overlooking the idyllic Kukkarahalli Lake, took its birth. There are more than 45 Departments of studies spread over many sprawling buildings on the campus. Nearly 4000 students pursue postgraduate studies in arts, science, technology, commerce and management. Many of the faculty members are nationally and internationally acclaimed scholars. The alumni include eminent politicians, statesman, litterateurs, scientists and men and women in various walks of life. About 187 colleges affiliated to the University of Mysore offer graduate and post-graduate courses.
India was on the threshold of management education when University of Mysore set up the Department of Business Administration in 1974 owing to the dynamism of the then Vice-Chancellor Prof. D. Javare Gowda and Dr.J.K Irani, Professor of Commerce. The great leap forward came in 2002 when, Mr. B.N. Bahadur an alumnus of the University and President of the B.N. Bahadur Family Foundation of Michigan, U.S.A made handsome donation, which together with contribution from the University created “B.N. Bahadur Institute of Management Sciences” (BIMS) . The University conferred Honorary Doctorate on B.N.Bahadur in 2007.
Contact Us @
B.N. Bahadur Institute of Management Studies
University of Mysore,